Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Kitchen Crazy

I've updated my "kitchen" status. After accomplishing this feat, I am no longer kitchen challenged, I'm just crazy.

A friend of mine told me about a tradition they do at Christmas time. They come up with 25 fun Christmas things to do -- i.e. make cookies, go look at lights, take a special treat to someone -- and they draw out one thing each day of December until Christmas. So, last night (we got a late start on this tradition), we made a red and green chain with 22 things to do between now and Christmas. It was no easy task coming up with 22 things.

Here was today's "fun Christmas thing" -- Reindeer Cupcakes.


I had two little girls here today, and they were excited to help us with this project. This is what we sounded like:

"Can I eat some chocolate chips?"
"Can I eat these red things?"
"Oh, these are spicy." (from three year old who then spits it back on the table)
"Does anyone want to watch a video?" (me)
"How many white ones can I have?"
"My eye won't stay on!"
"This is fun."
"Achoo. Achoo." (Yes, she just sneezed all over the two reindeer faces she was working on.)
"Can I eat more chocolate chips?"
"Is anyone ready for a break? You can watch a movie." (me)
"I'm waiting for more white glue stuff."
"How many pretzels can I have?"

After they had each completed three reindeer faces - minus the antlers because the white "glue" was still too soft -- I made the executive decision that it was rest time in the living room for the these little people. Whew.

I then spent the rest of my afternoon assembling reindeer faces, making cupcakes, frosting cupcakes, and putting the reindeer on top, all while grumbling about Christmas traditions.

Then the little people saw them. You would have thought I had just built a ToysRUs in the backyard. They were excited.

Christmas traditions really are worth it, even if it seems crazy.