Friday, December 12, 2008

Countdown to Christmas

Last year when I wasn't working, I had this faabbbuullouuusssss idea to make a 'Countdown to Christmas' chain for my kids. We wrote one "fun" Christmas thing on each link to do each day of December until Christmas. The activities varied from painting a Christmas picture, to wrapping a present, to making Christmas cookies, to looking at Christmas lights. Low key stuff - just the way I like it.
My kids thought it was great. So great in fact that my son begged to do it again this year, only he "wanted to do some things that were more fun than last year." Oh yeah, that line got me in the Christmas Spirit.

So here is my very brave husband assembling the gingerbread house for the kids to decorate. He took this on with our boys and our niece and nephew.


It looks yummy, but have you ever seriously tried one of these things? I kept looking for "NOT AN EDIBLE PRODUCT. FOR DECORATION ONLY." on the box. Thankfully, decoration was our main goal anyway.



And here is the Christmas puzzle cookie that was created the other night. It's gingerbread too, and actually pretty tasty. Just ask my hips. I'm wearing the evidence.



See how much fun this was? He was lamenting the fact that he couldn't eat the pretty yellow star. NOW.

His life is so hard. I'm feelin' his pain. Aren't you?


Tonight is Christmas light night, which we look forward to every year. I love this link of the chain. The lights are beautiful, it's fun family time, and it requires no creativity or baking from me!!!!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Sounds like a really fun tradition! I love looking at lights too. My kids when they were two called them "pretty lights" and the name stuck. We still call them that. Lol

Anonymous said...

hey... the frostin from the ginger bread house tasted like concrete! ya'll shoulda saved some to fix stuff that breaks... pretty sure it woulda worked. haha. but it did look good